Causes of Drain Clogs & What To Do
No one likes taking a shower in a standing pool of water. Clogged drains are a big nuisance for homeowners — and a risk to your property and plumbing system. Luckily, you can avoid costly plumbing repairs by preventing the formation of clogs in the first place. In this article, we’ll go over what can cause clogs, signs that you need drain clearing, and what steps to take if you have a clogged drain.
Contact Faszold today at (314) 656-7399 for reliable drain-clearing services.
What’s Clogging Your Drains?
Most homeowners will sometimes experience clogged sink, shower, or bathtub drains. Wondering what causes clogs to form in your pipes? Some things that could be clogging your drains include:
- Oil, grease & fat: Pouring grease down the kitchen sink can harden and form blockages over time.
- Coffee grounds: Coffee grounds don’t break down in the water and will clump together in your drains.
- Hair: If you let your hair go down the shower drain, it’s only a matter of time before it clogs.
- Soap, shampoo & conditioner: Products you use in the shower can buildup in your drainpipes or cling to hair, eventually causing a blockage.
- Foreign objects: If your toddler tends to throw random objects in the toilet or sink, they could clog your pipes.
Now that you know some of the things that can cause blockages, you can take care to prevent clogs. This could include pouring bacon fat in a jar before throwing it away to installing a shower hair catcher in your drain.
Signs You Need a Professional Plumber
Not sure if your drain problems are worth calling a plumber over? You should reach out to a skilled plumber if you notice:
- Slow draining: A blockage may be to blame if your showers or sinks are draining slowly.
- Foul odors: Trapped grease, soap buildup, or debris can form smelly clogs.
- Strange noises: Gurgling noises from your sinks, showers, tubs, or toilets can indicate a clogged drain.
- Multiple backups: If more than one plumbing fixture in your home is backed up, there’s a good chance you have a severe blockage in your pipes.
Don’t wait to get help. An experienced plumber will be able to handle the problem quickly.
Should You Use Chemical Drain Cleaners?
When you notice your slow-draining sink or shower, you might be tempted to run to the store and buy a cheap chemical drain cleaner — but you might want to think twice before doing that. Store-bought drain cleaners use harsh chemicals that could eat away at your pipes and cause more significant, costlier issues. Hiring a professional plumber for drain cleaning services is easier and more cost-effective.
Why Choose Faszold for Drain Cleaning Services?
If you’re dealing with a clogged drain, contact the Faszold Heating & Cooling pros. We’re a trusted HVAC and plumbing company serving homeowners in St. Louis and St. Charles counties. Our team is top-rated, licensed, and available 24/7 for plumbing emergencies. You can count on us to handle your drain-clearing services quickly.
Do you need drain-clearing services for your home? Schedule an appointment with us by calling (314) 656-7399 now.
Fill out the form below, and one of our team members will reach out to you shortly!
Become a Part of the Faszold Family
Sign Up for the Faszold Club Membership Program
- Significant energy savings
- Prevents equipment breakdowns
- Extends the life span of HVAC systems
- Discounts on repairs
- Priority service