24/7:  (636) 397-1237

Search

Keeping Your Family Safe from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Updated: Jan 3


According to the CDC, at least 430 people die every year from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and at least 50,000 people visit the emergency room.


Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen anytime of the year but is most common in the winter because homes heating systems are constantly running or on. Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. Here’s some insight on carbon monoxide and how you can protect your family from accidental exposure.


What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal, or fuel.


What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is a potentially fatal illness that occurs when people breathe in carbon monoxide. The CO builds up in your bloodstream and our bodies replace oxygen in our red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious tissue damage or death.


What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

  • Headache

  • Dizziness

  • Weakness

  • Nausea

  • Vomiting

  • Chest pain

  • Confusion

  • Blurred vision

  • Shortness of breath

  • Loss of consciousness


How to Prevent Accidental Carbon monOxide Exposure

Install or purchase a CO detector for your home and/or business. If you have a multi-level house, we recommend putting a CO detector on every level and where you can hear the alarm go off, like right outside your bedroom. Also, when picking out a CO detector look for a sensitivity level of 10-15 ppm response. CO detectors can be purchased and installed through us, Faszold Service Company.


Some CO detectors go straight into the outlet and these work great if you have power, but we recommend having a battery-operated CO detector to keep your family protected at all times. Make sure to change the batteries regularly to ensure your CO detector works properly.


Have your heating system, water heater, and gas or burning appliances serviced every year by a certified technician.


Make sure your gas appliances are venting correctly. You can have these checked by an appliance service company.


Have your chimney checked and/or cleaned every year. This will ensure CO doesn’t build up accidentally in your home.


Never burn charcoal indoors.


Never leave a car running in an enclosed space, such as a garage.


If you’d like a CO detector installed in your home or business, contact Faszold Service Company at 636-397-1237 or contact us online.

7 views

faszold heating and cooling

Heating and Air Conditioning Comfort Specialists serving the St. Charles County and St. Louis County area since 1980.

Main Office

1613 East Terra Ln

O'Fallon, MO 63366

636-397-1237

sales@faszold.com

 

Sudoku Answers

Office Hours

Mon - Fri: 7:30am - 5pm

24/7 Emergency Service

Call 636-397-1237 and follow the prompts if outside our normal business hours.

  • White Facebook Icon
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
Faszold White Lettering Logo Transparent